Monday, November 26, 2012

From 7/25/2008 - dateline Robinson, IL 27 years ago


To Corey:   

So we spent the night playing cards with Ralph & Vicky until the wee hours of the morning. As dawn was breaking, John and Ralph decided to go "hunting" -- so they spent the next few hours sitting under a tree in the patch of poison ivy. I headed to bed to catch a few hours of sleep. I woke up later with a backache, but totally convinced I was not in labor, despite all opinions to the contrary. I couldn't be in labor, this kid wasn't due for 10 more days!

    Well, a few hours later, I had to admit I could be wrong, and around 3:00 PM we borrowed the Bell's pickup and headed into the Crawford County Hospital. The Matador was "drivable" but not entirely reliable since the accident I had had 10 days earlier. So much so that we decided to cancel our earlier plans to go up north to see Gordon Lightfoot that weekend. I didn't want to be in Robinson this weekend, especially since my OB was off, and Salesman the butcher was on call...

    But I digress. We got to the hospital around 4, and the maternity nurse examed me, and asked me what names we had picked out. When I told her Crystan Meghan Heather, she laughed and said she didn't think my son would approve (what do you think Corey?). A boy? No way, I had been convinced forever that this was a sister for Adrienne, but nope-- once again I was wrong. Before I knew it, we were going to the delivery room, and Salesman sailed into the room just in time to see Corey born, but not soon enough to do any damage.

    Happy Birthday, kiddo - we love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment