Friday, March 18, 2022

When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman

When Christ and His Saints Slept (Plantagenets #1; Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine, #1)When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.5/5.0 - I have read several books about the later Plantagenets, this is the first time that I have read about the origins of that line. This is a well researched book, in which the author shares in great detail the 19 years in English history, known as the Anarchy. It was a time of civil war in England, where two monarchs, Stephen and Maude, fought for the right to be recognized as king (or queen). Stephen, grandson of William the Conqueror, and nephew to the king, took the throne when the king died unexpectedly. He had named his daughter, Maude, as his heir.
Although a very long book, the author did a good job of keeping my interest. Perhaps in the future I will tackle further volumes in this saga.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment