Sunday, May 8, 2022

Little Souls by Sandra Dallas

Little SoulsLittle Souls by Sandra Dallas
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5/5.0 - Sandra Dallas is one of my favorite authors, and while this book is good, it isn't my favorite that she has written. I was drawn to the book by both the time period and the location (Denver in 1918, during the Spanish flu) because of a very personal connection to the setting. My grandmother, who was 18 and lived in Salmon, Idaho at the time traveled to Colorado to care for a family (who had moved there from Idaho) whose mother had the flu. It was on the train back to Idaho that she met my grandfather, who had just returned from the war. I loved reading about the setting, and the two sisters who cared so much for each other. I also enjoyed the Easter eggs, where the author mentioned to a place or an incident that took place in another book. Here is one example:
We'd wandered around the town looking at the quaint houses, one of them a mansion with a tennis court that had gone to seed. p. 189
This refers to The Bride's House.
Where the book performed less well for me was in believability. There were too many things happening (view spoiler).
Overall, the good outweighed the bad, and it was an enjoyable book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment