Thursday, June 2, 2022

My Name Is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira

My Name Is Mary Sutter (Mary Sutter, #1)My Name Is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.0/5.0 - Mary Sutter is a midwife who lives in Albany, NY when the Civil War begins. She desperately wants to learn to be a doctor/surgeon, but can find no one to teach her, nor be admitted to a medical school. When her brother and brother-in-law go off to fight, she decides to follow, hoping to join the nursing corps headed up by Dorothea Dix. Though rejected by Miss Dix, she travels from hospital to hospital until she finds one who will take her. She develops quite a reputation for her skill and hard work. I enjoyed this book a lot, it was well researched and accurately portrayed the advances made in medicine as a result of the Civil War.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment