Saturday, October 22, 2011

Why yes, yes there was...

I have my first iPhone, and it's pretty cool. We went up to the Verizon store on my lunch hour Wednesday, and while it wasn't crowded, it took a long time there. OK, so part of the probably was me. I admit it. I knew I wanted a smart phone, but didn't know which one. I was torn between the Droid, and the iPhone. It had been months since I last gave the issue any thought, and John sprang the idea of going to get new phones on me with no advanced warning. So, I found myself in the Verizon store going back and forth between the two displays. Despite John's concerted efforts to convince me otherwise, I ended up with an iPhone4. There was no time for any show and tell at the store, so we headed back to Brockport.

No problem, right? It's a college, I work in a library with lots of techno-geeks (ok, I guess you don't have to be a techno-geek to own a smart phone). I sent a message to the library listserv saying "First smart phone, first Apple, who's the guru around here?" Here were the 3 responses:
  • Come down anytime. :)
  • Ask my secretary
  • Apple has help files on the web
How helpful would you describe these? Obviously, I took JS up on her offer, and 15 minutes later I walked away feeling pretty comfortable. Now you might think the second response was somewhat unhelpful. But what if I told you if was from the CIO of the college? I was surprised he even responded! And the third one? Let's just say this person and I are on opposite ends of the service/helpfulness continuum. Not that it would have been a bad response, if I was looking for the answer to a complicated problem months down the line, but in this context - not so helpful. Enough said.

I got my nameplate for my office the next day and took a picture of it. I will try and post it here, once I figure out how to get it from my camera. It will probably be easier than on my old phone, because I could email it to myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment