Thursday, February 2, 2012

Book threads

I am amazed at the threads that connect one book to another. Water for Elephants with its circus theme, leads to The Night Circus, which leads to Nightwoods - not because of the similarity in titles, but because of the commonality of the twins. These are not just books I have read over a period of time, but ones I have read consecutively or concurrently, with no thought given in advance to any common thread. So, this will be a challenge for the year - how does the book you just finished relate to the one you are currently reading?

2 comments:

  1. I often wonder if a thread is intentional, subliminally created, or pure happenstance. I'm currently reading a book about Coco Chanel's involvement in WWII which has led to me watching period dramas, and on to reading more WWII-themed texts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, in many ways threads are intentional - I enjoyed one book, now I want to read more in the same vein. These, however, felt into the purely happenstance.

    BTW, have you read the Night Circus? I am listening to it right now, and REALLY enjoying it. It is one of those few cases where the book is as good as the audiobook. Usually, I find I prefer one over the other. Jim Dale is the reader, and I could listen to him for hours. Wait - isn't this the book you bought and gave to one of your children? What did they think of it?

    ReplyDelete