Saturday, February 4, 2012

Once upon a time....

I was all about doing something regardless of how long it was going to take you to accomplish, because in the end you would be the same age whether you did it or not. At 55, I'm not so sure. My parents lived an average of 80.75 years, so for the sake of this argument, we'll say I have another 25 years left. Do I really want to spend 10% of this time pursuing this degree? What are the factors in this decision?
  1. Am I enjoying the process?
  2. Is the payback worth the effort?
  3. What are the opportunity costs?
  4. Does it accomplish the desired goal?
Good questions, all. Stay tuned as I ponder these questions for the rest of the semester.

2 comments:

  1. My mother wanted to know if I was ever going to get a PhD. I replied, "No, why?" She said, "Because then your obituary would have more stuff in it." The moral of the story is sometimes it's nice to have it just so you can say that you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ten years ago, I probably would have agreed with you. But now, I think of all the books I am not reading, gardens I am not enjoying, and evenings that I am spending squirreled away from DH, and I wonder if life isn't too short to be doing this?

    ReplyDelete