Monday, July 29, 2013

Health update

Earlier this summer, I had what I can only describe as a health scare. Shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, mystery pain. The first cardiologist gave me this terrible diagnosis when I failed my first stress test. Diastolic dysfunction - not good. Not happy with that diagnosis, I got a second opinion, and another test - this time a cardiac catheterization. This showed no blockage, and the new cardiologist (Mishra - who John has been seeing for years), posited that it could be a combination of stress, inactivity and unhealthy lifestyle (that is to say fat, out of shape, and stressed out). One of the first things I did was to drop my summer class and "step out" of school, for the time being. My stress level immediately went down. It also freed up time so that I began to be more active at home (I still need to work on my activity level at work, though.) John and I started geocaching, which meant hiking, and the more caches we found, the better I began to feel. Looking back, it's hard to believe I'm the same person I was 3 months ago - I feel that much better!


No comments:

Post a Comment