Friday, July 12, 2019

No pictures, just words

It's been about two months since we left NY after putting the house on the market, and one month since our last visit, where we discovered the vandalism. We accepted an offer on the house before we moved down, and it seems like an endless battle to get to the finish line. Barring other disasters, we should close on 7/22, and net about $6,000 after paying down our mortgage.
Life down here has settled into a routine of sorts. On Saturday or Sunday we attend Christ Lutheran Church. On Tuesdays, we "explore Tennessee." The rest of the time we spend working around the house, trying to get it just the way we want it, or spending money. I have started to work on going through the many photos we brought down. To aid in this, I bought an (expensive) scanner, which I have yet to use, deciding first to try and identify those photos that have already been scanned. I've been using my Picasa software to identify faces, that way I can more easily ascertain whether a photo is scanned. I'm down to a few hundred faces, I started out with many thousands.
Another way I spend hours every day is reading. I've read 30 books since I've been down here (vs. 42 in the previous 4 months), and while - yay!, it just shows I have too much time on my hands. Tomorrow I interview at the Cumberland County Archives, where I hope to volunteer one day a week. I think the biggest thing I struggle with is forming a new community. I'm trying, but sometimes I am so lonely for my family (the grandboys!!) and my colleagues from Brockport that I have to convince myself that moving down here was the right thing to do and the right time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment