Thursday, July 23, 2020

Favorite books about bookshops and libraries

I just read a blog post listing the author's 20 favorite books about books and bookshops. So I had to look at my Goodreads list of 116 books about books and see which books I loved that didn't make the list. Sadly, when I was done (half an hour later), I saw that comments were closed. So I decided to put it here, instead.
My favorites that didn’t make the list are:
Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw #1) by Peter Swanson
My review: This is not a usual genre for me, but certainly elements that I love - books and bookstores, play a major part in it, so it was an easy choice to fulfill the Summer Reading Challenge for July week 4 - 4.
c. Read a book from one of the following lists: ☀️ Goodreads Employees Share Their Summer Reading Plans.
This book is full of twists and turns, not the least of which is the fact that it's the first book in a series! This is my first Peter Swanson book, I may read a few more to see what else he does.
Camino Island (Camino Island #1) by John Grisham
My review: Enjoyable vacation read about a small bookstore owner, a struggling young writer, a team of thieves that steal five Fitzgerald manuscripts from the Princeton Firestone Library, and the insurance team that are working against an impending deadline to recover them.
Mrs. Sinclair's Suitcase by Louise Walters
Apparently, no review on this 5 star read.
Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1) by Chris Grabenstein
My review: 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4 because what's not to love about a book about children falling in love with a library? AtY challenge prompt for week 31. A children’s classic you’ve never read PSC - A book revolving around a puzzle or game - this was a Drake Library book.
Dear Miss Breed: True Stories of the Japanese American Incarceration During World War II and a Librarian Who Made a Difference by Joanne Oppenheim
My review: A true story, told through primary sources (letters that Japanese American children sent to a librarian) of their lives during 1942-1944, when they were interred in concentration camps in the US. These families were in San Diego at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor, and sentiment against the Japanese was rampant. A single librarian, from the San Diego Public Library,undertook a campaign to ease their suffering by writing to them, sending them small gifts and providing them with books. She wrote articles to The Library Journal and Hornbook, speaking out against the treatment of these citizens.
This is a book I would recommend to public and academic libraries to own.
and The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger .
My review: I am tempted to buy this book, and if you know me at all, you know that as much as I love to read books, I do not feel compelled to own them (sorry, authors). This book spoke to me on a very personal level. One thing I would say though, is that it didn't come across to me so much as a graphic novel, as a grownup's picture book with words. If you love to read, love libraries and have 10 minutes to spare, be sure to pick this book up, and find yourself in a book. (Update: I actually DID buy this book!)
And finally, one that did make the list:
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore #1) by Robin Sloan
My review: Probably one of my top books this year. I LOVED this book, it had so many of my favorite things - books, mystery, friendship, the quest, and great references. For Aeddon - "we play the game in a circle. It's called Traitor...(p.70)", for Julie - "deputy director of the most obscure museum...called the California Museum of Knitting Arts and Embroidery Sciences" (p.245), and for everyone - who can resist a book who 4 parts are: The Bookstore, The Library, The Tower and Epilogue.

Maybe I'll go back some time and tell a little about each book, but for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment