Monday, May 24, 2021

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

The ProphetThe Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5.0/5.0 - I first read this in 1976 and used parts of it in our wedding vows.
You were born together, and together you shall be forever more.
But let there be spaces in your togetherness.
Sing and dance together and be joyous,
but let each one of you be alone..
And stand together yet not too near together..

This book has stood the test of time, both in my lifetime, and since it was published in 1923. The language is beautiful, the advice remains timely ("Work is love made visible.") The section on children is my favorite.
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

It is one of the few books that I wish to own.
Book 140 of 2021

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment