Saturday, September 26, 2020

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

The Boy in the Striped PyjamasThe Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne


First, let me say, that in a year when the country seems to be on a downward spiral, why is it that all I seem to be reading are war-related or other depressing books? It's hard to know what to rate this. It's a very different spin on WWII literature, written from a child's POV. Bruno, one of the two main characters, displays such naivete that it's hard to picture him as a 9 year old. But, perhaps it was a more innocent time altogether. I also think that Bruno represents the rest of the world, in that aspect. When the camps were liberated, no one could believe that such atrocities really happened. There are those today who claim they didn't. Still, calling it Out-With, and Hitler - the Fury, rings more like a 4 or 5 year old to me. There were many things in the book that didn't ring true to me.
On the other hand, you do see some emotional growth in Bruno. He struggles with denying his friend, he questions what friendship really means, he (view spoiler)
I watched the movie a few years ago, I might watch it again sometime and see how closely it follows the book.
Book 157 of 2020

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment