Tuesday, January 26, 2021

About a Boy by Nick Hornby

About a BoyAbout a Boy by Nick Hornby
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5/5.0 - This was a very strange book. The first time I got it out of the library, I returned it unfinished after about 10% (1 star), but for some reason I decided to try again. It started out slow (2 stars), but towards the middle it became a 3 star, and finished a 4 star. I've never had a book that's grown on me this way.
In the beginning, none of the characters seem likeable. Will is a 36 year old man with no occupation. He just drifts day to day, living off the royalties from a Christmas novelty song his father wrote 30 years before. Marcus is a 12 year old child who gets bullied at school and has a mother who tries to kill herself. Fiona, his mother, doesn't really invoke sympathy from the reader. Then one day, Marcus meets Will and bad girl Ellie, and things start looking up. My favorite quote from the book is:
It was almost as if they had forgotten why they were travelling in the first place; the journey had become the point of the trip. That sums up life, doesn't it?

Pop Sugar #49: A DNF book from your TBR list
Book 25 of 2021

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment