Thursday, January 28, 2021

Hawai'i by James Michener

HawaiiHawaii by James A. Michener
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.0/5.0 - This epic book by James Michener covers the history of Hawai'i from its formation as an island, to the migration of the original Hawai'ians from Bora Bora, through the time of the missionaries, the plantation era, World War II and ending just before statehood. It traces many different races and nationalities who came to Hawai'i, changed it in significant ways, and created the culture it is today. Sometimes it's hard for me to read books that show examples of racism and misogyny, and I have to tell myself that it is reflective of the truth of the time in which it takes place. The missionaries came to save the Hawai'ians from themselves, and there were both examples of their superiority mindset and of their generosity towards others. Women were not held in high regard for most of the book, but they were often the people who were the strongest, most generous, and best decision makers.
Just two more notes - this was a book that I downloaded from Audible, and followed along in the text. Finally, I have a personal interest in it, having gone for the first time to Hawai'i last year, to see my youngest son who has lived there a dozen years, his new wife and our first granddaughter.
AtY #30: A long book
Pop Sugar # 41 : The longest book (by pages) on your TBR list
Book 27 of 2021



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I remember when my Dad read that! He read a few of Michener's books, I can see them next to his recliner in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty sure I had read something else by him, as well, but looking at the titles, nothing jumped out. Epic books, for sure!

      Delete