Sunday, April 11, 2021

The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman

The Midwife's ApprenticeThe Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5/5.0 - In a different life, I would have been a midwife, but the closest I came was to be a childbirth educator and give birth at home to my youngest child with a midwife-doctor. This received a Newberry Award in 1996, and I have set a reading goal to read the Newberry Award winners. This takes place in 14th century England and tells the story of a young girl, called Brat, who renames herself Alyce, who apprentices to the local midwife. You really want to root for the spunky young lass, who is kind and hard working but lacks in confidence. By the end of the book, she has learned more about the world and herself and is growing into her role.
Book 100 of 2021!

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I have a goal of reading all the newbery award winners too. I forgot I had started that a while back :)

    ReplyDelete