Sunday, January 9, 2022

Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley

Firekeeper's DaughterFirekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley


5.0/5.0 - My first 5 star book of 2022. I loved the main character, Daunis, a college freshman, who is close to her family and her tribe, although not an enrolled member. She gets caught up in a drug investigation when her beloved uncle dies of an overdose, and then several of her friends do, as well. She is a brilliant, strong Anishinaabe kwe (Ojibwe woman) who wants to help protect her community, but doesn't know who to trust. The book is realistic, believable, and unsettling. The author, an Ojibwe woman herself, does a wonderful job describing and honoring the culture.
I read that this has been optioned for a Netflix series, I will watch for it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment