Saturday, May 11, 2013

Feeling restless

Now that the Spring 2013 semester is behind me, I can see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. 5 more classes! Cases in Tech Management, Strategic Planning, Management Information Systems are my 3 required classes, and then I have 2 more to complete my concentration, which is Business Management. I'm leaning towards an Empire State class in Change Management and possibly an internship. Right now I feel at loose ends, trying to decide whether to take the last five classes at my leisure (meaning 1 per trimester), in which case we are looking at a completion date of May 2015, or doubling up and having it done in one year.

The pros for continuing at the same pace are less stress and less costly. The pros for doubling up are getting it out of the way sooner, and possibly being able to get a better paying job. That is the big unknown. I wish that I had some idea whether this is going to pay off economically for me. And, if it will require me to leave the college to reap the benefits.

I am going to meet with Frank next week to try and get his take on this. I'm not sure he'll be able to tell me anything, but he's willing to talk to me, so I'm going to do it. If I decide to speed the process up, there are several things I need to do next week:
  1. Contact Excelsior to get a transcript sent to Empire State College, so I can take a second course this summer (Change Management).
  2. Fill out the petition to be able to take this second course (from another school), and get it approved.
  3. Get enrolled in the Empire course and get textbooks, etc.
  4. Pay the bill!
  5. I also need to decide whether I am going to try and do an internship, and if so, where. My initial thought was to do it in Institutional Research, but now I'm wondering if I could do it for the IEL building the faculty database. 
Decisions, decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment