Thursday, March 18, 2021

Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton

Next Year in Havana (The Cuba Saga, #1)Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5/5.0 - I listened to the audio book from Audible, and I believe I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the print edition. The story is told through two perspectives and timelines- that of Marisol, visiting Havana in 2017 from Miami, and Elisa, her grandmother, who grew up in Havana and left in 1958. Elisa's story is framed by the Cuban Revolution. The man she falls in love with is a revolutionary, as is her brother. Both are brutally killed, she believes. Elisa's father is a sugar baron, and the family's lives are in danger when Castro takes power and so they escape to the United States. Almost sixty years later, her granddaughter, Marisol, a journalist, comes back to Cuba to bring her grandmother's ashes home, and to learn more about the family and friends she left behind. This is the first of four books in The Cuba Saga, it would be interesting to read more.
AtY #35: A book set in a country on or below the Tropic of Cancer
Book 80 of 2021

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment