Monday, March 1, 2021

Return to Robinswood: An Irish family saga by Jean Grainger

Return to Robinswood: An Irish family saga.Return to Robinswood: An Irish family saga. by Jean Grainger
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5.0/5.0 - I have struggled with what makes a book a 5 star, but today I've decided that it's one where I don't want to put it down (i.e. a page turner) and, if part of a series, I immediately want to read the next book. By this definition, this was a 5 star book. I enjoyed seeing how the Murphys and the Keneficks would work together to rehabilitate Robinswood, what the sisters would be up to, and learn a little more about the post-war situation in the UK. Lillian was a much more likeable character in this book, as she braved a segregated south to rescue her fiancé from a Mississippi prison, her mother overcomes her concerns about what will people think (about her biracial grandchild, for one) and accepts and loves Austina, Beau and Lillian's baby. As I write this review, I wonder whether racism really was so much less rampant in England than it was in the US, as this and the Bridgerton series would imply, or whether it is a case of authors rewriting history.
Pop Sugar #33: A book featuring three generations (grandparent, parent, child)
Book 63 of 2021


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how I can keep up with you! I like the way you put the goodreads link in your blog so I can add to my lists.

    ReplyDelete