Wednesday, June 2, 2021

How to Write a Mystery: A Handbook from Mystery Writers of America by Mystery Writers of America

How to Write a Mystery: A Handbook from Mystery Writers of AmericaHow to Write a Mystery: A Handbook from Mystery Writers of America by Mystery Writers of America
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.0/5.0 - A veritable goldmine of information and advice for any would be mystery author! Each essay was written by a different author, from Jeffrey Deaver to William Kent Krueger, offering advice on topics such as rules and genres, plot, setting, and even post-writing such as publishing and promotion. For me, the most interesting section was the one on rules and genres. I learned so much about what defined each type of mystery, what worked and what doesn't, and how breaking the rules can be a big no-no or lead to a great success. Although I don't plan to ever write a book, mystery or otherwise, getting inside the head of these authors, many familiar to me, was fascinating!
Book 143 of 2021

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment