Saturday, February 6, 2021

Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler

Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1)Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5.0/5.0 - I'm always pleased when a book that I pick for a challenge, one that I would not normally have grabbed off a shelf, turns out to be so good. This author was not on my radar, the genre - dystopian science fiction, would never be a first choice for me, yet I was drawn in from the very beginning. The book takes place is the near future, 2025, when society has broken down due to extreme poverty, climate change, drugs, and the lack of education and well paying jobs. Communities survive behind walls, but are always subject to attack. Lauren is 15 when the story opens. She lives with her father, a Baptist minister and college professor, her stepmother, who also holds a PhD, but stays at home to care for her family and teach the local community, and four brothers. She can see where things are headed and decides to prepare herself for a future where she must survive and thrive on her own. For years, she has been thinking about what she wants her future to look like, and has written her thoughts in a book she calls Earthseed: The Books of the Living. She learns all she can, she packs a bug-out bag, and when the time comes, she escapes the night of madness. Slowly, she starts building the community of earthseed, along the road, with other survivors. Community and change, traveling to the stars - these are the principles in which she believes. How successful will her new community be? I guess you'll have to read Parable of the Talents to find out.
Pop Sugar #2: An Afrofuturist book
Book 37 of 2021


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment