Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Super America (short stories) by Anne Panning

Super AmericaSuper America by Anne Panning
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 rounded to 4.0 stars - I normally don't read or enjoy short stories, so this book was a bit of a mixed bag for me. There were some common themes between the ten stories, two took place in Hawai'i - "Tidal Wave Wedding" and "What Happened" and two dealt with devastating bicycle accidents "What Happened" and the novella "Freeze." All were glimpses into what could have been my life or yours. And all had some academic connection - a college student or professor. I enjoyed many of them, but my favorites were "Five Reasons I Miss the Laundromat" and the novella. The laundromat story brought me back to a time in my life when I occasionally would find myself hauling a week's worth of clothing for a family of six, sometimes with one or more of the kids to help, but more often by myself. In a way, it was a respite from a busy family life. The novella, one of several set in a Monroe County college town (Brockport?) spoke to me of a time when I was the person putting on the brave face, managing people and things, while my husband was trying not to die. And like Peter, coming home on Thanksgiving, but not out of the woods yet.
Tomorrow, the college library's book club will meet virtually to discuss this book, written by one of our own faculty. It will be interesting to hear their take, and as Anne is facilitating this, to learn more about it from the author, herself.
AtY #33: A collection of short stories, essays, or poetry
Book 43 of 2021


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment